The chemistry used in these analyses can be used to qualify and quantify organic and inorganic contaminants / pollutants in a variety of matrices including, but not limited to waters, chemicals and soils.
Chemical analysis has many different uses including:
- Harbour Sediment analysis
- Waste Acceptance Criteria testing
- Quantifying contaminants in food and drink
- Potable water analysis
- Pesticides and foodstuffs additives
- Environment impairing compounds
- Petroleum industry derived organics
Samples might also come from a variety of industrial processes or applied research projects or be part of a bespoke analysis catering to specific requirements.
The laboratory can also advise on statistical sampling strategies and provide data interpretation in relation to regulatory limits and toxicity.
- Gas Chromatography - Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS)
- Gas Chromatography - Flame Ionisation Detector (GC-FID)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Inductively Couple Plasma – Optical Emission Spectroscopy (ICP-OES)
- Inductively Couple Plasma – Mass Spectroscopy (ICP-MS)
- Low Level Mercury Analysis
- Ion Chromatography (IC), Discrete Analyser, Total Organic Carbon
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy
There are also numerous bench chemistry techniques available including spectrophotometry, titrations, chromium speciation, Monier Williams method, ion specific electrometric techniques and Karl Fisher titration.
- Major inorganic anions such as Fluoride (F-), Chloride (Cl-), Bromide (Br-), Nitrate (NO3- ) and Sulphate (SO42-)
- Total Inorganic/Organic Carbon (TIC/TOC) and Total Nitrogen (TN) content of water samples.
- Colourimetric analysis using almost any recognised colourimetric technique to determine ammonium, soluble reactive phosphorus and total alkalinity content.
- PLFA analysis to investigate the bacterial and fungal populations of soils
- Pigment composition analysis to provide information on the biomass of waters
- Organic contaminants from industrial processes (e.g. PAHs, PCBs, PBDEs, POPs, EDCs) for compliance with environmental regulations.
- Organic additives in foodstuffs.
- Characterisation and composition of oilfield compounds and materials.
- Shimadzu Total Carbon/Nitrogen Analyser
- OI Analytical (high salt) TOC analyser
- Perkin Elmer Optima 5300DV ICP-OES
- Konelab Discrete Analyser
- 2 x Dionex Ion Chromatography Systems
- Agilent 7700 ICP-MS
- Thermo Trace DSQ and Trace MS GC-MS
- 2 x Agilent Series 1100 HPLC systems
- 2 x Agilent 6890N GC-FID
- 2 x Agilent GC-MS Systems
- Shimadzu UV-1800 Spectrophotometer