Much of the research at the James Hutton Institute leads back to the environment and that’s where the name comes from – James Hutton was a leading figure of the Scottish Enlightenment, an eighteenth century golden age of intellectual and scientific achievements centred on Edinburgh. He is internationally regarded as the founder of modern geology and one of the first scientists to describe the Earth as a living system. James Hutton’s thinking on natural selection influenced Charles Darwin in developing his theory of evolution.
The James Hutton Institute delivers fundamental and applied science to drive the sustainable use of land and natural resources. James Hutton Limited can supply expert advice and information for developers, planning consultants and land managers based on a wide range of advanced laboratory and field studies, computer modelling, a sound understanding of the UK planning system and close professional links with many regulatory bodies.
Whether the environment is your overall business concern or whether it's just one consideration of your current project, James Hutton Limited can provide support to ensure that natural capital is maximised to full potential and any impacts are minimised.
The multi-disciplinary expertise available at the James Hutton Institute is ideally suited to address many issues facing the environmental sector both in the UK and internationally.
Renewables & Spacial Planning
- Renewable energy impact assessment
- Visual Impact Assessment
- Visualisations & 3D Modelling
- Visualisation for public participation
- Decision support tools
- Shadow flicker, photomontage and wireframe
- Contaminated Land Surveys & Risk Assessments
- Bio-remediation and site specific strategies for recovery from contamination
- Ground gas monitoring and assessment
- Soil & peat resource assessment
- Site characterisation
- Land capability classification
- Ecological Impact Assessment
- Protected species and fauna surveys
- Habitat and vegetation surveys
- Evaluation of land management practice
- Invasive species surveys
- Biological water quality surveys
James Hutton Limited is a member of the Water Test Network; an ERDF funded project which provides SMEs in North-West Europe (NWE) with both funding and the correct resources to test, develop and validate new products for the water sector, supporting innovation, accelerating time to market and increasing the proportion of new innovations that reach the market.
The business recently became the second UK based organisation to offer Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) reports on environmental technologies in the United Kingdom.
Aside from these services to support the water sector, James Hutton Limited can offer services from the James Hutton Institute labs which include;
- Flood risk assessments and modelling
- Water resources assessment
- Water quality/effluent sampling, monitoring and analysis
- Sustainable Urban Drainage (SUDs)
- Rural land drainange
- Coastal planning and environmental management
- Analyse and characterise:
- Waters, oils, effluents and saline solutions
- Plant material and animal feeding stuffs
- Soils, rocks and sediments
- Organic and inorganic deposits
- Animal tissue
Watch our free analytical webinar covering problem samples & scientific solutions / exploring investigative techniques for the energy sector
A follow up to our March 2021 webinar. Putting techniques into practice.