Marine Sediment Analysis
Sector: The Environment
The contamination of Marine Sediment is a major environmental issue.
A large variety of contaminants from marine and industrial sources are associated with sediment contamination including heavy metals and persistent organics (e.g. PAH’s and PCBs). To control potential contamination in Scotland, many activities require prior marine license consent from the Marine Scotland, Licensing Operations Team (MS-LOT).
• Dredging of the sea bed
• Construction, alteration or improvement works
• Deposit of substances or objects into the sea or onto the sea bed
• Removal of substances or objects from the sea bed
Analysis is required for:
Maintenance and construction in harbours and rivers requires the removal of sediments by dredging and the subsequent disposal of the dredged material. Prior to licencing and disposal, material must be analysed for contaminants.
Harbour/Open Sea Construction
Prior to the disturbance of soil or sediment, analysis must be undertaken to determine levels of contamination within this material and the potential impact this could have on surrounding water, construction materials and landfill.
James Hutton Limited can help with:
Sampling & Analysis Plan
Our in-house statisticians can:
- Create an accurate chart of the dredge area and sample locations
- Provide details of sample types and suggested sampling methodology
- Recommend the number of samples to be taken
Assessment of Material
A thorough investigation by expert soil analysts:
- Assess results against Marine Scotland action levels (AL1 & AL2)
Monitoring & Reporting
Support from globally respected scientists:
- Complete in-dredge and post dredge monitoring as required by licence
- Provide reports of monitoring to MS-LOT
- Submit returns detailing amounts dredged to MS-LOT
The analytical solutions provided by James Hutton Limited are unique to each customer, based on their specific requirements. We take pride in being world-leading experts, integrating techniques to find the solutions that businesses need; quickly, independently and with unrivalled accuracy.
To find out more, please contact us in complete confidence.